Chicago Business Attorney Assisting With Buying and Selling a Business
As your company grows, one way to expand market share is to acquire or merge with another company. However, when doing so, there are a wide variety of procedures that must be followed and legal issues that must be addressed. It is essential to work with a skilled business law attorney throughout this process to deal with these concerns and ensure that no potential hazards are overlooked.
At Motiva Business Law, we provide legal representation for businesses of all sizes, and we can work with you to ensure that your merger or acquisition proceeds as smoothly as possible. Attorney Danya Shakfeh has over 10 years of experience in business law, and she is a business owner herself, which provides her with invaluable insights when addressing business-related legal matters. With our help, you can be sure your company will be prepared for success once your merger is complete.
Legal Issues During Mergers and Acquisitions
A merger involves the combination of two or more companies into a single company, while an acquisition involves the takeover of one company by another. While there are some cases in which the owners of each of the companies in a merger will have equal representation in the new company, in many cases, one party is considered the acquiring company that will control a majority of the new business. Acquisitions can be completed by purchasing a majority of a company’s stock or by purchasing some or all of a company’s assets, such as inventory, equipment, or facilities.
During a merger or acquisition, Motiva Business Law can provide legal help to ensure that all aspects of the transaction are considered properly. We can help negotiate the terms of the merger or acquisition and ensure that it will meet the satisfaction of all parties involved. During the process, we can assist with:
- Due diligence – We can help obtain the necessary documentation from all parties and ensure that it is complete and accurate. This documentation may include corporate records, information about intellectual property owned by a company, and debts or other obligations. By reviewing these documents, we can help identify any red flags that could delay the transaction or cause other concerns.
- Corporate governance – Depending on how a business is structured, the decision-making rules, policies, and procedures followed by its owners or board may play a role in the merger or acquisition process. We can help you address the differences in corporate governance between the parties involved in the transaction and assist in putting new rules and policies in place to ensure that the new company can operate successfully.
- Contracts – Existing contracts for all parties should be thoroughly reviewed to gain a full understanding of the parties’ rights and obligations. If necessary, we can assist in the renegotiation of any contracts.
- Employment matters – We can review the parties’ employment contracts, employee handbooks, and policies and procedures and assist in updating these documents to meet the ongoing needs of the new company.
- Tax considerations – There may be a variety of tax issues involved in the merger or acquisition process. Alongside your accountant, we can help you determine the best ways to address these concerns and complete any restructuring to minimize the tax burden on the new company.
Contact Our Oak Brook Mergers and Acquisitions Attorney
When merging with, acquiring, or being acquired by another company, you will want to be sure all legal aspects of the transaction are addressed properly. During this process, we can help you identify any issues that may affect the transaction, and we can ensure that you take the proper measures to ensure your new company’s ongoing success. Contact Motiva Business Law today at 630-517-5529 to learn more about the legal services we can provide. We work with businesses throughout the Chicago area, including DuPage County, Cook County, Elmhurst, Willowbrook, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Burr Ridge, Lombard, and Villa Park.